Total Pageviews

Monday, March 16, 2009

A modern day parable: Has anyone seen my contact?

Okay. Quick... a freaky story that delayed our trip to Arkansas by at least an hour and a half!!! I have been wearing contacts for close to 15 years now and I have NEVER had this happen. I am sure at this point in the story you are thinking "Why is she blogging about a lost contact. We don't care about a lost contact."
Because, friends, I lost my contact in my eye! Behind my eyelid.... and it hurt! Thomas pulled over to a gas station where I tried in vain to remove the contact by flushing it with saline solution (bad idea) and rubbing on my eye with my fingers (also a bad idea). So, as I am standing next to the car frantic and crying b/c my eye was burning and Thomas is standing in front of me trying to coach and look up "what to do" on his iPhone, an Ambulance pulls up behind Thomas to get gas. I was able to retrieve like half of the contact - yes, it tore in half. A few minutes later I said "An EMS just pulled up" and Thomas said "Stop it." only to find out it was true.
It's a good thing we didn't have to pay that EMS driver for his advice (Although it did prove helpful). The solution: No one could help me... I would have to either keep flushing it with saline solution or wait until it found its way back down. UGH... The EMS guy gave me a glove and gauze and told me to stop touching my eye with my own fingers and not to rub b/c I could scratch my cornea. With that, he went back to pumping gas.
Thomas, finally, suggested that I go to the restroom and just flush my eye with water non-stop (info he found on his iPhone), so I did. MUCH BETTER TAHN THE SALINE SOLUTION - what was I thinking? Water didn't burn as much and felt refreshing. So, after only a few more minutes for water flushing - I was able to pull the other half out of my eye!!!!! 
Moral of the story is: What once was lost, now is found. I was almost blind.. but now I see.

1 comment:

Michele said...

Ok, I was feeling so bad for you, Then I read the moral of the story and I cracked up laughing!

Glad you got it out. I did that once with a gas permeable contact lens (the little hard ones). It sucked!